Saturday, August 10, 2013

Possum

 I have spent some time today looking at pics I have taken over the past few years.


When we lived in Patterson Lakes we had several families of possums visiting our garden most evenings and some of them were quite tame.  

My favourite times were when the mothers brought their babies on their backs for a meal.  They carry their babies this way until they are quite big and heavy and the babies have to hold on tight as they climb tall trees and scamper across roofs.

The possums are a protected species here although many people consider them to be pests. My attitude is that they were here before us and we have moved into their habitat so it makes sense to feed them and provide them with shelter or they will eat the roses and live in the roof spaces of our houses.  



We have possums at this house  too but they are not as tame.  I still leave food out for them and they sleep in hollows in the big trees.  It is important, of course, not to feed them too much - they need to be able to fend for themselves.

The possums are nocturnal animals so taking pics can be a challenge but I have managed to take lots of photos as I discovered when sorting out my albums!

 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love these little guys. Here they have much more white, but everything hunts them(predators not people). They don't get much of a chance....xox

Gina E. said...

I'm so pleased to find someone else who loves the possums like we do! I leave chopped up apple outside on the feeder most nights, and we have regulars who visit us and show off their babies. One or two are quite tame and will eat the apple from our hands. I've even patted them, they are soooo soft! But that has to be done very gently because they take fright and scamper off if we startle them. I've got heaps of photos too, and have posted a few on my blog in the past.