The adventure continues: albeit with some drama along the way.
The next step required slashing the fabric between the lines of stitching.
I bought a special implement made for this task although
in the past I have just used very sharp scissors. The idea is
to slash the first 4 layers and leave the base fabric intact. The special cutter does make this easier but you have to concentrate. I was going along really well and then disaster struck. Instead of cutting as described above I cut through the five layers. I was quite a long way through the process and feeling pretty good about it.
Do the words "pride" and "fall" come to mind? Well they do for me.
Anyway I have continued on and washed the slashed fabric in the machine with my towels and then dried it
in the tumble drier.
This separates the layers and fluffs them up a bit. I will brush them up a bit with a clothes brush to make them more fluffy and then decide what to do about the corner that no longer exists. I made the gaps between rows quite wide on this piece. The closer the rows the "neater" the result but I wanted to expose the layers quite a lot.
I do hope all this makes sense to those who are interested in trying this technique.
My one piece of advice is concentrate.
Oh I just noticed my computer cable under the fabric. I do not cut on that table or in fact near any cables. That would be tempting fate.