Saturday, August 13, 2011

smocking pleater



A few weeks ago I bought a smocking pleater.  I know it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing I would be interested in but I am endlessly curious about all needlework techniques.
 In the past my friend Karyn  has pleated fabric for me to experiment with and I have enjoyed using the pleated fabric in my own way.
I was visiting one of my favourite op shops looking for doileys (as if I don't have enough already).  As my purchases were being added up I glanced at the window display and there it was.  An Amanda Jane pleater.  The price was unbelievable - I could never justify paying new price - and so I am the happy owner of this amazing contraption.

It has sat on the shelf for quite a while as I have been really preoccupied with other things.  

Today I decided to see if I could use it.  In a step that is unusual for me, I read all the instructions and some smocking books before I started.  

My first little piece of pleating has turned out just fine.  Now I  need to figure out how to tie it off and secure the threads.

I am not likely to be making any pretty dresses but I might make something interesting.

Any hints or advice would be most welcome.

6 comments:

Gina E. said...

What a great find! I had lots of smocked clothes when I was little, and I used to love pleated skirts when I was growing up, but I haven't seen any for years. Well, maybe the odd one in an opshop! Now, are you going to show us the doilies you bought? I bought two this morning in Vinnies in Briar Hill - really gorgeous ones for only a few dollars :-)

Anonymous said...

I guess most of us wouldn't have been able to resist such a temptation, what a tremendous find. It will add another dimesion to your unique style.

Unable to offer any advice about smocking, although I love the traditional dresses for little girls. Anne

Anonymous said...

It looks quite like a medieval torture device with all those wires and brass bit. Understand the result, but don't understand the process - glad you do. xox Corrine

Radka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Hello Dian, sorry I've been 'away', only getting to my blogging fix this morning!! I am so pleased you found such a bargain. I'm sure once you pleat a few things, and play, you will be up and running. Of course, as you are using it for a purely creative form, I see no reason why you need worry about pleating perfection.........LOL [hope the pleating police don't see this comment]. You are finding some really amazing bargains of late.

Anney said...

Hi Dian,lovely to read your blog...I have a pleater given as a gift by Lanis' Aunt in California..I haven't used it yet..just practiced pleating..tricky when one doesn't do it a lot..
Hope all well with you..love seeing all your work..x