Monday, November 21, 2011

faux cutwork button

This button is finished!!!!  I used silk for the foundation fabric and used perle cotton thread for the button hole lace around the central motif. The rest of the embroidery was done using single strands of hand dyed silk thread.  The stitches used are button hole stitch, french knots, spider web roses, stem stitch, seed stitch and chain stitch and probably some I have forgotten.   When damping the piece down for damp stretching I added some colour to soften the background fabric which looked too harsh.  The button is 4.5cm across.





5 comments:

Robin Mac said...

What a beautiful button Dian. I have just been catching up on your previous few posts.
Melbourne is a beautiful city - you always seem to see more when you are showing visitors around too. I imagine you have bought a new camera by now as you have the photo of the button. I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix and I am very happy with it. Thanks for the comments on my blog. Cheers

Linda said...

This one is just gorgeous Dian. You have been having the best fun with this project. These smaller things are great to 'take along' I imagine. Take care.

shirley said...

I love the colours in this button Dian, it is just beautiful.

Karen said...

this is an amazing button, I loved it as soon as I saw it in the group.

Anonymous said...

Glad the camera is better. Technology can be a trial when it doesn't behave itself. Love your button too. - katherine