Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Recycling and re-using


Today was shopping day.  First I went to the new big hardware barn that is in our area: hoping to find a bargain I was most disappointed and as the wallet was still in tact and I was already in Tyabb Rd I made my way to Vinnies where I picked up some treasures which I shall share some othertime.  Just a little further along the same long road is one of my favourite Salvos stores and more treasures made their way into my car: again I will save these for later.  My next stop was at the local recycling centre, just around the corner from the Salvos.  Residents drop off things they no longer want and they are sold to the public a little cost.  This is not like an op shop where everything is clean and working and displayed for sale.  Goods are just on tables, the floor or in trolleys.  The up side is that everything is sold very cheaply.
I initially went in there today because I needed a little basket for the twins to play with and I knew they always have plenty of these.  Of course I had to take a look at what else was on offer and came home with several doileys (which need a good wash), a tiny Noritake dish which is in perfect condition, rain boots for one of the twins, (I had picked up a pair earlier in the day for the other twin) handkerchiefs of course, some paper rope, a merino and acrylic dress (which I will shorten)  and of course a basket.


All of these cost me the grand total of $6.00.








 As you can see there is a wide variety of goods available, you just have to be prepared to rummage around and find what you "need".  

I am having trouble with editing and placing the pics in this blog but I hope it is not too annoying.







8 comments:

WandarArt.Stitch said...

Dian, did you do a wonderful buy for little money.
Certainly utilize your fabric on the beauty of your work will have an important fabric, second life, and do not need to overpay in the stores with new fabrics.
That is now almost everywhere, I wish you great ideas.
best regards,.!

Anonymous said...

Your last stop looks like a very interesting place. I am wondering whether we have anything similar around here. Laurel

Karyn said...

Dianne, great bargains, as usual! Isn't that Noritake plate gorgeous? my grandmother had the whole set; needless to say it was never used; just there for looks.
I love the look of that shop/shed! It looks like you could find anything you can think of in there.

Anonymous said...

Dian, what fun hunting for TREASURE!!

Linda said...

WOW, Dian, what a great day, and some interesting finds. I love the wellies, very cute indeed. I also like the little piece of Noritake. I have a complete coffee set, such tiny cups............... I can see some interesting chairs in that shed, love to have a rummage through that place. I simply never get to anything like that!! Thanks for sharing, I love your op shop hops.

margaret said...

you are so lucky having places like this to go rumage in.Such excitement when you find lots of little goodies and at such cheap prices.

Linda’s Textiles said...

Looks like a great place to find bargains. We have something like that in Perth but unfortunately not nearby.
Thanks for your comment on my quilt - much appreciated.

Gina E. said...

I MUST get the courage to drive down there!! And take you up on your offer to show me around. Can I stay overnight? Perhaps a weekend would be even better. Just kidding!