Tuesday, May 18, 2010


Today I went to the city of Melbourne for a bit of a look around.  It is a fascinating combination of old and new architecture as well as all different kinds of people.   For those who do not know much about our city it is very multi cultural with lots of cafes and places to sit and watch the people go by.  The tree is in Hardware Lane where I stopped for a bowl of minestrone soup and turkish bread.  The pic with the arched walkway is taken in Flinders lane behind StPaul's Anglican Cathedral. I worked  in the Cathedral bookshop when I was about 18 - the area I worked in is now a florist as you can see in the pic.

The photo below is of Howey Place, just one of the many lanes and alleyways in our city.  The other one shows some of the more modern parts of the southbank development with some interesting sculptures.  We have lots of works of art around the city which I really like.  I don't always like the works but I like the fact that our city fathers (and mothers) think it is important to have beautiful things as well as the practical services.








It really was a glorious day and this seagull was obviously making the most of the sunshine.  This is alongside the Yarra River.  I hope you enjoy  these pictures of our beautiful city as much as I enjoyed being there.

4 comments:

Jensters said...

They are stunning photo and its so nice to see were our blogging friend are from....was a good read too x

Elspeth said...

Excellent photos again Dian. I found it extremely interesting, as I have never been to your part of the world. I love the shot where you have the tree and buildings in the one frame. Archectiture makes a great subject for design, especially for someone like me who seems to have a symmetrical brain!!! Great reading about your day too, thanks.

JulietteCherry said...

I am planning to explore Melbourne on my next visit, and will definitely look into the Cathedral. Your photos are lovely.

Radka said...

It is nice to see some pictures from a place where my son finnished his year long around Australia trip a few years ago, in 20 + years old Holden he bought at the start of his journey in Perth. He said that out all the Australian cities Melbourne reminded him Europe most of all.