Saturday, May 1, 2010

HAPAZONE

I have had a bit of a try with the hapazome.  I did not prepare very well and the results are a bit hapharzard.  However I did enjoy it and will do it again.  I used the iron to heat set the fabric but wonder if I should use some textile medium as well.  Anyway I will attach some pics.

I found that some of the harder leaves worked better than the soft ones and some flowers didn't work at all.  However I will give it another go. 

4 comments:

Radka said...

Oh, well done fot trying! Keep at it, it gets better. I have written little more on my blog about the last experiment, also, I used a rubber mallet the second time, which seemed to work better.

Elspeth said...

Dian, what an interesting technique. So pleased you and Radka brought it to my attention. Looking forward to seeing what happens with these experimental pieces.

Katherine said...

Seen this technique on another blog and I must say I will be giving it a try too. Looks like fun! Wonder if it would work with autumn leaves too.

morfoo said...

Hi, I use this technique a bit and have been laying around with "setting" the fabric.. the best method I have found is to 'pre-mordant' the fabric first before hammering the flora, by boiling the fabric in a large saucepan of water and a protein such as milk, ash, egg etc, then allowing the fabric to dry and pressing it before applying the flower/ leaf.
I like the theme of beach textiles! very fun :) I can tell you I have never looked at plants the same way again since discovering hapazome (or hapa-zone as I've also seen it called).

I also discovered the flat rubber mallet :)