Saturday, March 24, 2012

collage episode 3



This morning I started to make some lace on soluble film:  I am not sure which brand it is because I picked it up in an op shop with some other goodies.











This is the stitching before rinsing it out

It is important to make sure that the stitching connects and crosses over or you just end up with a long string of stitches.

This film was quite heavy so it was difficult to wash it all out - if you leave any residue the lace will be stiff and harder to work with.






Once I was sure that it was thoroughly rinsed I gently squeezed out the water being careful not to let it tangle or break threads.







This is how it looks partially stretched and still damp on the ironing board.









The machine stitching took some hours so in between times I painted the canvas with Gesso to make it more textured.
  I sprinkled some glitter on to the wet Gesso just to make it more interesting,


  It dried quite nicely.
 Tonight I will start to construct the collage.

2 comments:

Judy Hartman said...

Hi Dian,
Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love seeing how you created fiber lace - always wondered how it was done! Great photos!

Linda said...

Love the lace you've made Dian, and thank you so much for the great step by step process. Very exciting watching it evolve.