Sunday, June 6, 2010

June Needlebook .... started

I was given this piece of silk by a friend in Belgium a long time ago: it is a gorgeous grassy green and I wasn't sure what I could use it for.  Another friend who I met through the Country Bumpkin forum does wonderful smocking so I asked her if she would be kind enough to pleat several pieces for me.  That was ages ago and it has been stitched to a piece of calico and laced onto the frame for longer than I like to admit.  It has been hanging on the wall above my sewing machine for a while now and last night I decided it would be the ideal starting point for my June needlebook.  I will do some random stitching in whatever colours come to mind.  You can see I have made a start.  Once the stitching is done I will decide on other trims, charms, buttons etc from the stash. I have an idea about the lining but will show you that next time.

This is one of my grandsons (Michael) waiting for me to make some space so he can do some painting.  All of the children love to sew and paint and generally make a mess of my sewing room - it is lovely when they come to stay as there is always something for them to do.  Michael is particularly interested in cooking which is great.  He made a mud cake on Thursday night and a vanilla cake on Friday night.  So much for the diet.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Dian, it's lovely to see you've made a start on the June needlecase. My project is just in it's infancy too, but hey, we've got three whole weeks and then some yet........
It's great when the children are happy to do things indoors at this time of the year. Lovely that they can cook too, sometimes not all kids get to cook 'at home', as their parents are often very busy.