Monday, April 16, 2012

looking forward to spring


Although it is Autumn here I am thinking of spring.  Our garden is looking lovely but I am always planning ahead.  

While thinking about the garden I sketched out some ideas for my next stitching project.


I used my water colour pencils which are ideal for this kind of sketching.

Although the pastel pencils are great too I just prefer to work with these.


Once I am happy with the basic sketch I brush a little water over the surface to blend the colours and soften the effect.





Once it is damp I can add some more colour where I feel it is needed.

The next step is to decide on materials and embellishments.  This is the fun part.  I am thinking of using felt with wool and silk tops.

Felt is easy to work with and the wool and silk can give texture and depth of colour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet sketches, sketch me a chair and I will come and sit. xox

Linda said...

Your sketch is lovely Dian, and you are quite right saying the dampness gives the pencil colour depth!! I like 'your garden' and can see you fashioning it with all sorts of lovely bits and pieces. Sadly, Spring up here can be a bit non-existent, so I soak up the Autumn for as long as I can. We get lovely growth on trees at this time of the year. Happy stitching when you start your Spring Garden.